Second Giving Day assists Augustana students

By Murray Green

University of Alberta Augustana Campus Giving Day (May 14) honours the generosity of community donors such as Wes Campbell with the new Augustana letters in front of Founder’s Hall.

The first University of Alberta Giving Day was a wonderful success in 2022. The second Giving Day will be held on May 14, a day set aside to honour generosity and giving, and an opportunity to support Augustana Campus students.

U of A Giving Day is a celebration of the generosity of the local community. This 24-hour blitz brings together people to make a significant impact on students’ lives—all in a single day.

Every contribution plays a vital role in shaping the future of student success. Camrose resident Wes Campbell will start the Giving Day event by donating $1,500.
Giving Day will prioritize fundraising for the Augustana Faculty Bursary Endowment.

“Funding opportunities like the Augustana Faculty Bursary Endowment will help ensure deserving students who demonstrate financial need don’t miss their chance to make their mark on the world,” noted Augustana Faculty Office of Advancement development officer Bree Urkow. “By supporting this bursary today, you support the innovators and thinkers of tomorrow. We try to find a champion of the cause and that is where Wes comes in. He was our champion on our first Giving Day as well. That means he is not only advocating for support to Augustana, but he is also making a donation to support Augustana students.”

Bree added that Giving Day is an opportunity to unite the community in support of student success. “Your contribution goes beyond a mere donation–it becomes a catalyst for empowering students to excel, focus on their goals and pursue their purpose.

“A fundraising campaign like Giving Day highlights the concept that many hands makes light work and this year, gifts up to $5,000 will be matched, with Wes providing our first $1,500 donation. We raised $6,000 on our last Giving Day and are hoping to exceed that amount that this year,” said Bree.

“By giving on May 14, you are providing students with the invaluable resources they need to thrive—the time and space to conduct groundbreaking research, gain additional skills, join clubs and teams, or volunteer for causes close to their hearts. Together, it can amplify their potential and make a lasting impact on our community.

“The Augustana Faculty Bursary Endowment was created as a result of the pandemic and an increase in student need across our campus. The interest from the fund is used to assist students who are in need. The endowment is not touched, so it can be in place for future earnings,” added Bree.

“This endowment will help any student, regardless of what year or area of study they are enrolled in. Our goal is to help as many students as possible. Each student’s needs are looked at individually, so funding supports can range in value depending on the student’s situation,” explained Bree. “The larger the endowment, the more interest it earns and the more we can assist students.”

Wes, president and GM of Campbell-McLennan in Killam, recognized not only the importance of giving where he can, but encouraging others to do the same. “I like the idea of giving a gift to Augustana students to achieve their goals and allow them to reach their dreams and potential. This follows the same way the business has operated, by giving. It is a way of giving back, which is very important to me.
“The fact that we can help a student to succeed and have their own dream fulfilled, that is something that really intrigues me. Support like this helps pay for tuition, text books, rent, mental wellness resources–what students need to further their studies,” shared Wes.

Gifts on U of A Giving Day will help students overcome economic barriers and help make post-secondary education a realistic option.

“I went straight to work after high school and didn’t go to university. This is my way of giving others a chance to go to university. I was thinking in the back of my mind that I missed that part of my life, but where I am today, I am in a position where I can help,” added Wes.

“On behalf of the dean and all of us at Augustana, we thank Wes for being the champion that he is,” concluded Bree.  
For more information on participating in U of A Giving Day or to donate  visit the website at https://give.communityfunded.com/o/university-of-alberta/i/giving-day-20....